Cask Management

There are currently 20 million casks of liquid gold currently maturing in Scottish bonded warehouses. 90% of the precious contents are ageing in ex-bourbon casks, with the other 10% maturing in sherry, port and other wine barrels.

There are currently 20 million casks of liquid gold currently maturing in Scottish bonded warehouses. 90% of the precious contents are ageing in ex-bourbon casks, with the other 10% maturing in sherry, port and other wine barrels.

WHY USE AGED CASKS?

It’s important that whisky casks have had a previous life. Once filled with new make spirit, whisky casks must age for a minimum of three years on Scottish soil before they can be called scotch.  The charring of the oak, and the cask’s previous contents slowly colour and flavour the spirit. And by the time the whisky reaches a rich amber colour, the spirit has taken on significant flavour and complexity.

CASK STORAGE

All whisky casks must be stored in HMRC regulated bonded warehouses. Some distillers store their own casks on-site, but most of the industry-leading distillers use the same warehouses. Each cask is assigned a number on the date of fill. This remains the same throughout the cask’s lifetime. As part of the storage process, each cask has a unique paper trail known as a delivery order. This also follows the cask through its lifetime.

<br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined variable: headline in <b>/var/www/vhosts/cazincdev.com/casktrade.cazincdev.com/wp-content/themes/cask-trade/template-parts/content-cask-manage.php</b> on line <b>130</b><br />

VISITING & SAMPLING

It’s sometimes possible to visit your maturing cask, and it’s a fantastic experience. However, some warehouse are not set up to allow visitors. They may contain literally hundreds of thousands of casks. If visiting your cask is a priority, we are more than happy to move it to a more suitable location – it’s fairly straightforward, and we will simply pass on the fee for this.

It’s equally exciting to sample the whisky from your cask, and you can request these through Cask Trade. Due to the intricate nature of extracting maturing whisky from bonded warehouses, and the difficulty of accessing the casks, there is a cost involved, and duty will be charged based on the ABV.

<br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined variable: headline in <b>/var/www/vhosts/cazincdev.com/casktrade.cazincdev.com/wp-content/themes/cask-trade/template-parts/content-cask-manage.php</b> on line <b>130</b><br />

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /var/www/vhosts/cazincdev.com/casktrade.cazincdev.com/wp-content/themes/cask-trade/template-parts/content-cask-manage.php on line 119

Bottling

Your cask will be safely stored and matured for you. Whenever you want, you can bottle the cask and enjoy your very own single cask release, often consisting of a few hundred bottles.

Find out more